How to Apply
Applying in writing
If you have limited internet access download and print the following Teacher Education Supplementary Form or request an application pack from the Office of Initial Teacher Education and Undergraduate Studies. (Note you will also need to complete the University’s Application to Enrol process).
To be selected into a teacher education programme requires a selection process. This involves completing a written application, sourcing referees and attending an interview. You are encouraged to spend time in a New Zealand school or early childhood centre before making your application. Selection of applicants is based on academic background, communication skills, personal qualities, background experiences and referee support.
- Submit online and post the Teacher Education Supplementary Form to the Office of Initial Teacher Education and Undergraduate Studies. Please supply evidence of your NCEA Level 1 and 2 results.
- Select your referees and distribute the Confidential Referees’ Reports. Year 13 secondary school students, ask your Year 13 Dean or a teacher to complete the School Confidential Report. Tell your referees that they need to post these forms in as soon as possible.
- Once we have received all information your application will proceed to shortlisting. If successful you will be asked into an interview. To ensure you can be contacted please provide us with your most current contact details.
- GradDipT applicants: Provide evidence of a completed bachelors degree. Note: GradDipT (Secondary) applicants some other qualifications are recognised.
- BTchg (Mixed Media Presentation) applicants: Provide a completed Base School Form (see Teacher Education Supplementary Form) from your Base School.
- International student applicants: You may need to show completion of an IELTS test (7.0 score in all bands) and proof of prior study. For GradDipT applicants your qualifications will need to be assessed by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Qualified teachers upgrading to a degree: Only complete the Application to Enrol process and Credit Application form. Submit evidence of your qualifications.
- Students transferring from another university’s teacher education programme: You only need to complete the Application to Enrol process and Credit Application form. Transferring students need to supply a transcript of their academic record and practicum reports.
These are held in Hamilton or Tauranga. Invitation to interview does not guarantee a place on the programme. Present yourself professionally at the interview. You are responsible for any expenses incurred.
If you are offered a place on a programme, you will receive an enrolment agreement. Check this, sign it and indicate you preferred fees payment option. Post the agreement or deliver in person to the University’s Fees and Finance Centre. University of Waikato Finance Centre Private Bag 3105 Hamilton 3240